Senior Engineer (SRE/Site Reliability)Apply Now
Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability (DevOps)
Culver City, CA - Engineering Team
Reports to: Software Engineering Manager
At sweetgreen, a Sr Software Engineer is more than an architect. They are trusted squad members that heavily influence the design and implementation of new services while also integrating with and upgrading existing ones to address mission-critical problems. Working closely with Software Engineering Managers and Principals, they champion architectural decisions that facilitate the work of their teams and our business as a whole.
Success depends on balancing their schedules to implement their designs alongside their peers as hands-on senior contributors.
Top Goal - Within a year you will have reduced the time it takes for a development complete feature to ship to production down to a single day. From the point where a pull request is approved, our pipelines should execute automated regression tests and deploy the work to a pre-production environment where QA can perform a final validation. Once this gate is reached the mechanism by which we can deploy to production should be available to anyone in the technology organization. This is a cross functional objective that you will accomplish through collaboration, automation, tooling, testing, monitoring, continuous integration and continuous delivery.
These are the performance objectives we expect from a Sr Engineer:
- Map the Existing System: Depending on the service and the stack in use, our deploy pipelines will have varying opportunities for improvement. In your first two weeks, you’ll have developed a deep understanding of our CI/CD pipelines by reviewing the existing system design and documentation. By day 21, you will have contributed to those areas that need additional documentation, in both Confluence and elsewhere.
- Collaboratively Design and Evaluate Alternatives: Within 30 days, conduct a high-level end-to-end system analysis. Work with your Technical Program manager to understand our project needs and the Site Reliability squad to create realistic solutions. Create technical design documents (TDDs) that propose incremental solutions and work with other Lead Engineers and Software Engineering Managers to conduct trade-off analysis with a specific focus on scalability and sustainability.
- Present Your Solution: By 45 days in seat, you will have presented your TDD(s) to the Lead Engineers and Software Engineering Managers for feedback for feasibility, scalability, and implications for how your solution would interface with existing systems and secure consensus to implement.
- Lead the Technical Implementation: By day 90, you will spend 50-75% of your time leading the technical production of the solutions with our team of engineers and personally building towards your top goal of reducing development lead time. The primary focus of the technical development effort will be to improve developer ergonomics across our ecosystem. Your work will include presenting your own pull requests and reviewing others. In partnership with Technical Program Management you’ll hold yourself accountable to the dates that you committed to, completing feature work in your first sprint.
- Documentation: In order to ease future teammate onboarding, debugging, and knowledge sharing of complex services while mitigating the risk of tribal knowledge, within 30 days in seat, you’ll contribute to our existing information architecture within Confluence and put a plan in place to realize 100% documentation of the systems you own.
- Monitoring System Health: By day 90, you will have a plan in place to implement missing or leverage existing telemetry and testing, through CI/CD, so service owners can report on the health of their system, triage bugs, and limit regression.
- Raise The Bar: At sweetgreen we dedicate a portion of our attention to matters that may not be immediately customer facing and instead allow for us to work smarter, or faster, or simply reduce friction in the developer experience. You’ll own your squad’s specific backlog that is focused on operational excellence.
At sweetgreen our business evolves every day as do the solutions we invent to meet those emerging needs. We believe that it’s a mix of individual skill and collaboration that leads to successful outcomes. There is no standard definition of what an Engineer is or does, and depending on where you’re coming from things might look a little different.
We’re technology agnostic, but we have a propensity to leverage lean tools that are best suited to get the job done. Our most popular choices are Node and Ruby, and are often deployed to either a severless or container orchestrated platform. Our frontend clients leverage a variety of frameworks, including React. We try not to over index on the latest tech and to instead focus on the tools that allow for the greatest development experience, quality of work, and productivity.
We value, encourage, and support diversity in backgrounds and opinions. We are human, fallible, life-long learners - we make mistakes from which we learn and grow. We partner with Product, Design, Data, IT, Operations, and Business stakeholders in long-term ownership of the solutions we build to improve the lives of our customers.
Our mission within Engineering is to create, operate, and continually improve upon software critical to the overall sweetgreen mission. We provide technical expertise, guidance, and vision to our partners and stakeholders in order to inform sustainable thinking across sweetgreen.
Our sincere vision is to be a world-class engineering organization leading the food experience revolution.
You and Us, Together
Together we’ll work to accomplish those measures of success. You’ll enjoy competitive pay + bonus, based on your performance and level of experience. You’ll take advantage of a comprehensive health, dental, vision insurance, and 401k plan. And you’ll recharge given flexible time off so that you can make the most of life and work, in harmony.
We’ll provide clear expectations for you in this role. We’ll assign you a career manager so that you can track your progress against those expectations. Together we’ll collaborate to define your career path and find opportunities for growth. We’ll respect and celebrate your passion + purpose, as we all do. And we’ll be a family of people that are all in pursuit of building healthier communities by connecting people to real food.
Come Join the Sweetlife!
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen restaurant, our 4,000+ team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means. Our people are our most valuable ingredient - the heart of our company, the face of our brand, and what truly makes the sweetgreen experience special and unique.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.
A FEW SWEET PERKS
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
All fields with an * are required.