Software Engineering Manager - Los AngelesApply Now
Software Engineering Manager - Customer Relationship Platform
Who We Are
A sweetgreen Software Engineering Manager (SEM) is the people manager for a team of software engineers and is ultimately responsible for building products and experiences that support business requirements. They establish individual goals for sweetgreen team members that accelerate growth. They define and evaluate specific vendor objectives, when vendors are used. They establish team goals that enable the team to improve and deliver on the products and experiences the team is responsible for.
An SEM must have a deep technical understanding of the products they own and the ability to work with product teams and other stakeholders to map requirements to a sustainable solution. They will work with their team to establish the SDLC, develop architectural solutions, and drive operational excellence.
Top Goal - Within one year, you will have built (hired, trained, and mentored) the team that has gone on to implement a complete in-house system for sweetgreen’s loyalty program removing a critical vendor dependency. This needs to be implemented in a sequence of logical steps addressing these major challenges as part of the process: scalability, compatibility, and incrementality.
- Grow the Team: Within 30 days, you will have hired 2 senior engineers. By day 90, you will have grown the team to include 1 lead engineer, 2 senior engineers and 3 three engineers.
- Raise The Bar: At sweetgreen we dedicate a portion of our attention to matters that may not be immediately customer facing and instead allow for us to work smarter, or faster, or simply reduce friction in the developer experience. You’ll establish the process for your team’s work on this front, report on which improvements are prioritized and performed, and ensure that at least 20% of the team’s time is allocated to it.
- Put Down Roots: Each engineering team at sweetgreen has autonomy over the process they use to get work done. Within 30 days you’ll have established and documented the software development lifecycle process your team uses. How does your team accept feature requests and bug reports? How does it forecast project timelines? What is the definition of done include?
- Monitoring System Health: By day 90, you will have a process in place that allows your team to support and monitor the services under your watch, in a way that predictably affects velocity.
- 3+ years’ experience in managing people on a software engineering team.
- 5+ years’ leading and developing large-scale technology initiatives.
- 13+ years of general software development experience.
- Ability to coach, mentor, and guide people in their careers.
- Expertise in creating, designing, and critiquing complex software systems.
- History of adapting and refactoring legacy software systems.
- Advanced understanding of the SDLC and Agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of multiple programming languages and their applicability to a given problem space.
- Thorough grasp of best practices across many technical disciplines (client, server, automation, deployment, QA, and project management).
- Expert-level knowledge in modern web development practices, especially those relating to service design.
- A strong desire to experiment with bleeding edge technology and understand related market trends.
- Strong problem solving, communication, and negotiating skills.
- Strong time management.
- Three different medical plans to suit your and your family's needs
- Dental and Vision insurance
- Flexible PTO plan
- 401k; company match of 50% up to 3% of employee contribution
- 5 months paid family leave; we believe in fully supporting new parents
- Employee HSA and FSA
- Complimentary greens
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Free sweetgreen swag
At sweetgreen we are focused on building a great experience for our customers and we look to constantly enhance that through empowerment of our teams to build innovative solutions. We believe that it’s a mix of individual skill and collaboration that leads to successful outcomes. There is no standard definition of what an Engineer is or does, and depending on where you’re coming from things might look a little different.
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen restaurant, our 4,000+ team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means. Our people are our most valuable ingredient - the heart of our company, the face of our brand, and what truly makes the sweetgreen experience special and unique.
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.
A FEW SWEET PERKS
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
All fields with an * are required.